Sunday, July 20, 2014

To My Future Self

            So I was reading one of those recommended articles that pop up on my Facebook timeline and it was basically a list of things that everyone should do before they have kids. Now for any of you who really know me, you know that I have no intention of having kids, but the article did really interest me and so I read on and actually got a few good ideas of things I wanna do before I get older. Some of the suggestions were the generic go to a music festival, travel the world etc. etc. but one suggestion did catch my eye, it was all about how you should write a letter to your future self, kind of like a where you are now and where you see yourself in the future and to read it back later on in life.

            Now personally writing a letter to myself is kind of awkward like it almost feels like I’d be talking to myself but worse cause it would be like a legit conversation, so I’d be answering myself back anddd that just seems kinda crazy to me, but I feel like I’ve gotta try it. But then I thought I’ll probably forget to read it in the future so instead of just writing the letter, sealing it in an envelope, and tossing it to the side hopefully somewhere it won’t get lost and I can eventually find it, I figured that I’d just incorporate it into my blog so that at least I could revisit it at some point. So without further ado he’s my letter to my future self (no judgments lol it’s the first letter I ever wrote myself and I’m not quite sure how it’s going to turn out!)

            Dear Future Ashley,
                                    I don’t know when you’ll actually remember to read this letter, hopefully it’s not before you’re at least thirty-five and have figured out what your definition of the meaning of your life is supposed to be (or at least have a clue!) Writing this now at twenty it’s surreal how the best years of your life are supposed to be ahead of you yet it’s beyond terrifying that you’re embarking on the real world. Did it go ok? At this point in life I’m not sure where I’ll end up in a few years, whether I followed through with my plan to move out of Philly or if I ended up staying but regardless of where I ended up I hope that I did my twenties right and went out with a bang. I hope that whenever I do end up reading this I’ve made a bunch of mistakes, that I have hoped I could go back in time and change some choices that I’ve made, I hope that I’ve loved my friends and family with all the love I had, I hope that I’ve become the woman I know in my heart I’m on the track to finish becoming. I hope that I’ve gotten to travel the world (or at least a part of it), and pray that every new opportunity that has presented itself to me throughout my life, especially the ones that have forced me out of my comfort zone I’ve taken whether or not I enjoyed it. Above all I hope that every obstacle that I’ve been faced with throughout the years, I’ve overcome and hope that they’ve brought me closer to the people I love, taught me a lesson, and most importantly shaped me into the best version of myself that I could ever hope to be. Honestly, at this point in my life I’m not sure where I’m going or what I’m going to be, but I do hope that when I read this I can look back at these next few years and smile knowing that I’ve gained love, respect for myself and from others around me, a confidence of knowing that I may have messed up many times in life but that’s only made me better, and the assurance that despite being independent and knowing I can do it all on my own, I don’t have to because I have such an amazing support system by my side. I may not know what’ll happen in the future but somehow I just know I’ll be okay and make you, my future self, proud.

Sincerely,

Current Ashley  

No comments:

Post a Comment