Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Good Old Days

            I can honestly say I miss the days when I had no phone, shared a main computer with everyone in my house, and I saw my friends face-to-face everyday outside when we’d play jump rope or ride our bikes; constantly moving. I feel such a loss for this generation because they’re growing up in an age of technology, which don’t get me wrong is great, but at the same time they’re lacking the meaningful face-to-face interaction and joy of spending the day outside with a group of their friends. That feeling of being in the now, not focusing on what’s happening in the “digital realm” but on what’s physically happening, making that count more than the likes you get on a picture.

       Long gone are the days where you would break out a pen or pencil and send a pen pal a long heart felt letter, heck half of the youth’s generation (wow that made me sound old lol!) can hardly write a sentence with proper grammar; it seems that all of the lol’s and text talk we’ve grown so accustomed to have caused us to lose our sense of punctuation, carelessly toss out the grammar rules we worked so hard to learn in middle school (yes I’m talking knowing the difference of when to use their vs. there vs. they’re). It’s a little disheartening for me to see the English language thrown around so freely in the way we speak and text today vs. how the eloquently it was used in the days of Shakespeare, when the words meant something, spoken so beautifully.

        Now don’t get me wrong, despite the fact that I write this blog, I am by no means the best writer (if you’ve noticed my sentences have a tendency to run on, oops!) But I feel like it’s just sad that with the shift towards technology we’re losing the beauty of language, and the written word. Like personally although I see the benefits of kindles, and Ipads for reading (yes I get that it saves money, books are sold cheaper on there) for me there’s nothing like holding the physical book in my hands, folding down the pages where a quote has captured my attention, getting into the mind of the author; experiencing how they feel, their thoughts, ideas, and emotions that I will never get from reading it electronically.


         So maybe I’m an old soul haha, I mean yes I thoroughly enjoy having access to Instagram, being able to check my bank account, and yes I enjoy being able to order and pay for my food on my phone, thank God for GRUBHUB (it’s my favorite app haha) I feel a pang for this generation that they don’t get to enjoy the same simplicity I was blessed with growing up. Honestly I yearn for the days where I’d get to play outside all day and then come inside eat shower and head to bed (or in my case head under the covers with a flashlight to catch up on some reading, yes Harry Potter all day every day.) There’s such a beauty in simplicity that I think at times our generation is lacking, as well as a lack of articulation, that was once had that we should find our way back to. Maybe Siri can help us out with that (;

No comments:

Post a Comment